Two new Covid cases in Sydney but travel bubble remains open

Director of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay, pictured last year, said quarantine free travel would remain in place despite two new Covid cases in Sydney.

Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images

Director of Public Health Dr Caroline McElnay, pictured last year, said quarantine free travel would remain in place despite two new Covid cases in Sydney.

New Zealand’s quarantine free travel bubble with New South Wales is to remain in place despite two new Covid-19 cases being detected in Sydney.

NSW Health revealed on Saturday that the Sydney Covid cluster had expanded to six people after two additional cases of the virus had been detected.

In a tweet the agency said, “NSW recorded two locally acquired cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, one of which was announced yesterday morning and is included in today’s numbers.”

New Zealand director of public health, Dr Caroline McElnay, said the quarantine free bubble would remain in place with New South Wales, “subject to no further significant developments in the Australian state”.

READ MORE:
* Covid-19: Quarantine-free travel with NSW continues, risk deemed low
* Trans-Tasman bubble: Quarantine-free travel with Melbourne likely to restart next week
* Covid-19: Two new cases in managed isolation, none in community

She said the ministry is “continuing to closely monitor the situation in New South Wales – as we do when any cases of this nature emerge – and will issue updated health advice if required”.

STUFF

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and director-general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield provide an update on the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine roll-out. (Published June 18, 2021)

The ministry is contacting people who have travelled from Sydney to New Zealand since June 11 to advise them to check the locations of interest and self-monitor for symptoms of Covid-19. Anyone who develops symptoms should self-isolate and contact Healthline about getting a test.

The Ministry of Health also issued some specific travel advice, noting that flights from New South Wales to New Zealand would continue, subject to developments, and asked anyone at the Sydney locations of interest to follow NSW health advice regarding testing and isolation, “and must not travel to New Zealand within 14 days from when they were at the location”.

It also asked anyone who has arrived in New Zealand and who was at a location of interest at the specified time to self-isolate immediately and call Healthline for information on when they should be tested.

The list of exposure sites stretches from Bondi Junction and Vaucluse across to North Sydney, Campbelltown, Newtown, North Ryde, Redfern and Zetland.

Next Post

What You Need To Know About Traveling To Saint Lucia This Summer

Sat Jun 19 , 2021
What You Need To Know About Traveling To Saint Lucia This Summer […]