Costa Rica is one of only 6 countries worldwide that is currently open to all during the pandemic with no testing and no quarantines required for entry, making it one of the most popular destinations in 2021, especially for American travelers.
However, the government of Costa Rica has a few separate entry requirements, like mandatory travel health insurance, that all visitors must comply with in order to visit. Some visitors have found the travel insurance requirement a little difficult to fulfill, as it has very specific parameters of which many popular providers have not been able to comply with, until now.
One of our favorite travel insurance providers HeyMondo has now adapted its Premium policy to meet the requirements of Costa Rica’s Health Pass.
The Health Pass, a digital form all passengers must fill out 48 hours before entering Costa Rica, is also the place where travelers will upload proof of their insurance coverage. Their insurance provider must show:
- Validity of the insurance during the entire stay in Costa Rica
- Coverage of Covid-19– A guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of pandemic disease COVID 19 in Costa Rica, of at least US $50,000
- Hotel quarantine accommodation insurance – Minimum coverage of US $2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to pandemic illness or trip interruption/cancellation due to illness, which covers the extra cost of the passenger due to quarantine.
HeyMondo started offering Covid-19 medical coverage back in mid-2020 but has now added in the hotel quarantine accommodation coverage to be valid for travel to Costa Rica.
As of March 18, 2021, HeyMondo’s premium policy offers $2,250 USD in coverage for convalescence in a hotel (valid for medical quarantine) that goes over and above the $2000 asked for by the government of Costa Rica.
All entry requirements for Costa Rica
As of October 2020, Costa Rica eliminated the PCR testing requirement for all tourists. Now travelers from all nations can once again visit with no testing and quarantines.
Here are the remainder of the entry requirements for visiting Costa Rica as of March 2021:
- Filling out the online Health Pass 48 hours before arrival
- Proof of insurance that meets their requirements
- Proof on onward travel or roundtrip ticket
- Passengers must arrive at SJO or LIR airports
What’s Open in Costa Rica?
As of March 2021, mostly everything has reopened in Costa Rica, including restaurants, beaches, hotels, shops, tours, bars, casinos, national parks and more. Some beaches are still under curfew hours of 5:00am to 6:00pm.
More HeyMondo Improvements
Along with the accommodation hotel quarantine insurance, HeyMondo recently added some additional improvements to many of their policies in 2021, including:
- The ability to chat 24/7 with a doctor via the app, which can help give peace of mind for travelers who may have questions before visiting a clinic or hospital.
- Coverage for receiving medical care onboard a cruise ship, including covid-19
- The increase in the amount of coverage under Private Civil Liability
- Accommodation hotel quarantine insurance, which covers the reimbursement of lodging costs due to medical quarantine, when prescribed by the doctor who treated the traveler.
↓ Join the community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories