Trans-Tasman bubble: Quarantine-free flights from Auckland to Australia can recommence

Aucklanders can once again travel to Australia without having to quarantine on arrival, after the Australian government declared the city is no longer considered a Covid-19 hotspot.

On February 24, Australian officials re-introduced the 14-day quarantine requirement for any travellers who had been in Auckland in the last two weeks, following the recent outbreak of community cases.

Travellers who had not been in Auckland were still allowed to travel to Australian states on quarantine-free flights, except for Queensland, which removed the whole of New Zealand from its “safe travel country” list and required all travellers to complete quarantine.

The Australian government says Auckland is no longer considered a Covid-19 "hotspot" .

Iain McGregor/Stuff

The Australian government says Auckland is no longer considered a Covid-19 “hotspot” .

The restrictions saw Air New Zealand suspend its quarantine-free services to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

READ MORE:
* Australia to decide on Tuesday whether to resume quarantine-free flights from New Zealand
* Air NZ suspends trans-Tasman flights as Australia responds to Auckland Covid-19 ‘hotspot’
* Australian states burst travel bubble with New Zealand

But on Tuesday night, Australia’s Chief Medical Officer Professor Paul Kelly confirmed that Auckland will no longer be considered a hotspot, and New Zealand is back on the safe country list.

Kelly said the situation in New Zealand had improved greatly, with minimal risk remaining from the Auckland February Cluster.

On Tuesday evening, Air New Zealand’s site showed the earliest quarantine-free flight from Auckland to Melbourne was on Friday, but the earliest quarantine-free flight to Sydney wasn’t until next Thursday.

There were no quarantine-free flights available between Auckland and Brisbane.

Passengers have been able to fly from New Zealand to Australia without having to quarantine on arrival since October, however, the arrangement has been suspended on several occasions due to Covid-19 flare-ups in New Zealand.

Travellers are encouraged to visit www.smarttraveller.gov.au for up-to-date travel information

Next Post

MSC Cruises is fast expanding. Here's how it plans to raise its U.S. profile: Travel Weekly

Tue Mar 9 , 2021
Johanna Jainchill It might come as a surprise to North Americans that Europe-based MSC Cruises is close on Carnival Cruise Line’s heels to compete for the title of world’s second largest cruise brand, behind Royal Caribbean International, which overtook Carnival several years ago. Carnival lost four ships in 2020 as […]