Queensland is halting its travel bubble with New Zealand from Wednesday night.
The recent Covid-19 cases in Auckland have meant New Zealand has lost its status as a “safe travel country” in the Australian state.
State Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said all travellers from New Zealand arriving at Queensland airports from 9pm (NZ time) on Wednesday would now need to complete quarantine on arrival.
* Three new Covid-19 cases linked to Holiday Inn cluster emerge in Australia
* Covid-19: NRL prepared to shift Melbourne Storm but club are confident of staying put
* Australia suspends travel bubble with New Zealand after Auckland lockdown
“Unfortunately, over the past few days New Zealand has been recording some new positive cases, which is why we are closing the border from 6pm,” Young said in a statement to Australian media.
“Acting with an abundance of caution has kept Queenslanders safe and that’s exactly the path we will continue to take.”
Quarantine-free “green flights” from New Zealand to Australia would stop immediately, with passengers needing to quarantine upon arrival in Queensland.
Three new community cases of the virus were announced on Tuesday, all linked to a south Auckland family who contracted the virus earlier in the month.
On Wednesday, however, there were no new cases of Covid-19 in the community.
Queensland Health was also recommending all travellers who have been in New Zealand since February 21 to seek a test and isolate until their results have been returned.