Australia-New Zealand travel bubble set to resume with some states

The New Zealand government has announced that the travel bubble with Australia will resume with South Australia, ACT, Tasmania and Victoria on July 5.

The bubble was paused on the weekend in response to the growing number of cases being reported across Australia.

New Zealand had earlier decided to close the travel bubble to New South Wales until July 7.

New Zealand’s COVID Response Minister Chris Hipkins today said travellers from SA, ACT, Tasmania or Victoria, to be eligible to fly, must not have been in NSW since June 22 or Queensland, the NT or WA from June 26.

“The cabinet agreed that partially lifting the pause was the appropriate course of action,” Mr Hipkins told a news conference.

“The health advice is that the spread of COVID-19 in these parts of Australia has been contained at this point,” he said.

Travellers will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test pre-departure and must not have visited the blocked states and territories in recent days, Mr Hipkins said.

The pause on those states would be reviewed on Monday with an announcement expected next Tuesday.

Mr Hipkins said coronavirus restrictions in Wellington would ease from midnight on Tuesday as no community cases have been reported in the capital in the past week.

New Zealand had raised the alert level in Wellington as a result of an Australian tourist testing positive for COVID-19 after visiting the city.

The on-again, off-again trans-Tasman travel bubble started in mid-April.

Loading form…

ABC/Reuters

Next Post

Europe Lifts Travel Ban for Americans

Tue Jun 29 , 2021
The European Union has added the United States to its list of countries approved for entry. share this article It has been 15 months—458 days, to be exact—since the majority of Americans were first barred from entering Europe due to the pandemic, a period of restricted transatlantic travel that lasted […]